Ugly as it is without hiding behind a mason jar, you’ll love this one (unless you’re lactose intolerant). Simply mix a bunch of stuff together the night before and enjoy a hearty, nutritious breakfast the next day that you can scarf down before hopping on the train or take with you to consume in your cubicle. The day after that, you’ll be happy to be a smooth operator; kefir apparently has three times the amount (CFU? mass? volume?) of probiotic cultures in yoghurt.
I felt rich this week so I used an expensive blend of oats, bran, and chia rather than regular rolled oats. I have no regrets. However, if you are using lone oats for this, simply add a half tsp or so each of bran and flax seeds to the mix for this recipe, or skip them altogether.
Smooth Operator’s Overnight Oats with Kefir, Chia, Bran, and Flax
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Rogers steel cut oat blend (a mix of oats, bran, flax seeds)
- 1 1/4 cup kefir (I used strawberry flavour)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- additional kefir for topping
- ground cinnamon and cardamom (optional)
- Use a pestle and mortar to grind the chia seeds.
- In a bowl or food storage container, mix the ground chia seeds, oat blend, and kefir.
- Gently fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and uncover. If you like, add more kefir and a pinch each of cinnamon and cardmom.
- Serve chilled or try it warmed up. I like to zap mine in the microwave for a minute or two.