Enchilada soup is a thicker, even-more-American version of sopa de tortilla or tortilla soup, sometimes without the tortillas. Sometimes it is creamy and other times it is on the clear side; oftentimes it contains chicken. This is a creamy, vegan version that is easily prepared using a slow cooker.
It can be gluten-free if you choose a soup mix without any barley or wheat, if you thicken the soup using potato/corn/tapioca starch instead of flour, and also if you are careful about the kind of tortilla chip with which you garnish the soup.
What are the origins of enchilada soup, or tortilla soup/sopa Azteca de tortilla for that matter? Tortilla soup was probably invented multiple times from repurposing leftovers in the kitchens of several Mexican and/or American homes, similar to the origins of French onion soup. It might have first come to recognition as an ‘official’ dish in the 1960 or 1970s through published recipe books, then further popularized in American restaurants. But enchilada soup, specifically? I have no idea. Please tell me.
Slow Cooker Creamy Vegan ‘Enchilada’ Soup
Time: 15 min + 8 hours (unattended) + 35 min
For the enchilada soup:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mixed legume soup mix, rinsed and drained
- 165 ml (1/2 can) corn kernels, drained
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 125 ml (1 small can) diced green chili peppers
- 2-3 chipotle chili peppers (from a can with adobo sauce)
- 400 ml (1/2 can) diced tomatoes or 1 heaping Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- juice of 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
To garnish (optional):
- avocado slices
- fresh cilantro
- green onion, sliced
- baked tortillas / tortilla chips
- your favourite red salsa / pico de gallo
- In a slow cooker, layer the onion, garlic, legumes, corn, cumin, oregano, chili peppers, and tomato paste. Then pour in the water.
- Set the slow cooker to Low and cooker for 8-10 hours. Go to work/school/play as needed.
- Take out the chipotle peppers, dice them up, then return to the slow cooker. (If you were smart you would dice them up before adding them to the soup in the first place.)
- In a bowl, whisk the soy milk into the flour until there are no lumps.
- Turn the slow cooker to High. Gradually stir in the flour-soy milk mixture.
- Let the soup come back up to a boil and thicken, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast and lime juice, then mix the soup thoroughly.
- Add salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve the enchilada soup with your choice of garnishes.