‘Aloo gobi’ translates to ‘potato cauliflower’. I don’t know the translations of ‘sweet potato’ or ‘beet’, so I’m giving this dish a long, awkward name. This is an amped version of a southeast Asian dish that includes sweet potatoes and beets (best friends 5ever) for an added dose of vitamins and minerals.
I decided to cook the beets separately and add them to the curry at the end; this prevents dying the entire curry red!
This is a great vegan main—gluten-free if served with rice, but also great with flat breads.
Sweet Potato and Roasted Beet ‘Aloo Gobi’
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 3 beetroots, peeled and in cubes
- 1/2 tsp + 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 pinch + more salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of asafoetida
- 2 Tbsp + 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, cracked
- 1/2 tsp dried red chili pepper flakes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2/3 of a medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 15-20 stalks fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 400 °F.
- Toss the beet cubes with 1/2 tsp oil, a pinch of salt, and ground cumin.
- Place the beets on a baking sheet then roast for 30 minutes, or until tender. Then set them aside.
- Meanwhile, create a curry paste by combining the coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne, cinnamon, and asafoetida with 2 Tbsp of water in a bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot over medium heat, fry the whole cumin seeds and mustard seeds in 2 Tbsp oil for 20 seconds.
- Add the chili flakes, garlic, and ginger to the skillet/pot.
- Stir in the curry paste and stir-fry in the oil for about 1 minute.
- Mix in the cauliflower, sweet, potato, and 1 cup water. Bring the liquid up to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low heat. Cover and cook under tender, stirring occasionally—about 20 minutes.
- Fold in the roasted beets, mango powder, and cilantro. Turn off the heat and add salt, to taste.
- Serve with rice or naan/roti/puri.