Here we go: another reason why the sweet potato and the beet are total besties. Both of these smooth, sweet, and awesome-for-you vegetables come together in this comforting vegan and gluten-free soup. Also present are small amounts of curry spice to kick things up a bit and rich, sexy coconut milk that caresses the tongue just right. What you see on top of the soup is black pepper and cultured soy yoghurt (also vegan and gluten-free), which I think are perfect complements for this soup.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Creamy, Curried Sweet Potato & Beet Soup
Adapted from Canadian Living
Time: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3-4 beets (beetroots), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400 ml coconut milk (1 regular can)
- 400 ml water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
To garnish (optional):
- dollop of non-dairy, gluten-free yoghurt
- fresh cilantro leaves
- good olive oil
- more coconut milk
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, fry the cumin and mustard seeds in oil for 30 seconds or until they brown and crack.
- Add onion and stir-fry until onions are translucent. Add garlic & ginger then cook for a minute more.
- Stir in turmeric, coriander, and cayenne until all ingredients are well-coated and spices have toasted a bit, about 1-2 minutes.
A spicy, aromatic soup needs a spicy, aromatic foundation.
- Pour in coconut milk and water/vegetable stock. Mix well and let it all come up to a boil.
The turmeric starts this soup off as yellow.
- Add beets and sweet potatoes. Bring the liquid up back to a boil then turn heat down to medium low.
- Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
The sweet potatoes and beets then turn things a rosy orange.
- Add the salt, or more/less to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor, puree the soup.
- (Optional) To get a super smooth texture, pass the soup through a fine mesh sieve, little by little with the help of a rubber/silicone spatula. This will separate most of the seeds and any missed chunks.
I borderline abuse this tool.
- Serve naked or with your choice of garnish. Keep it vegan and gluten-free by serving it with rice or vegan and gluten-free bread. Or, serve it with crusty bread or roti.