I think this is a popular dish—popular with my family, at least, as it is a vegetable dish of choice when we go out. This version of savoury fried green beans is a meatless take on the traditional version, which includes ground pork and those tasty little dried shrimps.
But as usual I just felt like changing things up a bit.
This is best served at dinner as one of several dishes (such as mapo tofu). It is also good for a weekday night meal, just with rice.
Garlic & Chili Green Beans with Chinese Mushrooms
Adapted from Wives with Knives
Serves: 4 as a side; 2 as a main
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp oil
- 400 g or so of green beans or Chinese long beans
- 5 dried dong gu/shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp garlic chili paste
- 1/4 cup shaoxing/rice wine
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
Please note that I doubled the recipe when I took these photos.
- In a bowl, soak the dong gu/shiitake in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Remove the rehydrated mushrooms and squeeze the excess moisture out of them. Remove any visible dirt. Slice the mushrooms thinly and set aside.
- Avoiding the dirt at the bottom of the bowl, reserve as much of the mushroom broth as possible. I got almost 1 cup but only decided to use 1/2 cup for this recipe. You can add all of the broth to make things saucier (add corn starch to the dish later to thicken it) or save it for another day.
- Wash the beans then break/cut off the stalk ends. Also cut the beans into pieces around 10 cm long or less just so that they are more manageable in the pan and for serving.
- In a large pan or wok over medium-high heat, fry the beans in 1 tsp oil until ‘blistered’, around 5-10 minutes. Set aside. Giving the beans a chance to cook this long with direct pan contact first will ensure that they are thoroughly cooked inside with slightly chewy, flavourful outsides.
This is what I’m talking about.
- In same pan but now over medium heat, fry garlic and ginger with 1 Tbsp oil for 20 seconds.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic chili paste to the centre of pan, fry for 30 seconds, then stir into the mushrooms to coat.
- Deglaze with the wine, stirring thoroughly and letting the alcohol boil off, about 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce and 1/2 cup mushroom broth. Mix thoroughly and bring liquid up to a boil.
Here is a spicy, saucy mix.
- Stir in green beans. Fold until all the beans are coated with the sauce.
- Serve with rice and other dishes.